Thursday, January 16, 2014

Cashmere goat hide throw pillows


Here are the pillows I made from a couple of goat hides I had tanned a few years ago.  This wether was a half cashmere, half dairy goat, hence the spots.  These two pillows are pretty soft.  Not as soft as the full cashmere pillows are going to be, but close.  I tried them out by taking a short nap on the couch with these behind my head.  I slept well. :-)  They are really comfortable.  They are 20 inches long by 13 inches wide.  Made completely by hand.  My sewing machine doesn't do leather, so I hand sewed these.  My fingers got a bit tender! :-)  At least goat skin is softer and not as thick as cow hide, so that makes it easier.

  Our forest service road is a skating rink now.  Solid ice from side to side.  I went and got a pick-up load of traction sand today and spread some on the driveway hill.  Tomorrow the neighbor and I are going to take the sander he borrowed from a friend and sand the road.  I really don't like having to put chains on and off when I'm in my "going to town" clothes.  Neither does his wife.  So for the first time ever, we are going to have a sanded road!  The last neighbors never wanted to spend the money to get it sanded, they just wanted to do everything the hard way.  Now we have neighbors that want life a little easier. Yea! :-)

  We have had a run of mild weather the last week or so.  Temps up in the 40's!  Today was a beautiful sunny day.  The goats are starting to shed, I've combed three so far.

Well, that's it for now....

No comments:

Post a Comment