Tuesday, November 2, 2010

My Dream has come true!

On October 4th my dream came true! I got my own cashmere dehairing machine! I've wanted one since I found out such a thing existed. This has been at least six years in the making, and now it's here on our place, in it's own little room, working away dehairing cashmere. I used it till the 17th, then it broke down, took two weeks to get the new parts and get them installed, but now I'm back in business.
I'm busy with lots of cashmere to dehair. It literally is one of the slowest processes on the Planet, but since the end product is so incredibly soft, and it is rather neat to watch a clump of raw cashmere go in one end and come out the other in a fluffy cloud, it's worth the slowness.
I am totally passionate about everything to do with cashmere, from raising the goats, to now dehairing the fiber, that I am completely happy when I'm out there running the machine. Working with cashmere is why I am on the Planet at this time. It is what I am meant to do.

All the goats are doing well. I decided to only breed two does this year, since I'm pretty sure I'll be way too busy dehairing cashmere in the Spring to be having to deal with lots of babies. Then Rusty, one of the bucks decided to take matters into his own, and got in with one of the does in heat at that time. I came out one morning, and here he was, in the pen next door, with Maggie. So now I will have three pregnancies. Arianna and Astrid will get bred in their next heat cycle, so I just might end up with a nice little birthday present next year. On my 50th birthday, no less. That would be a great birthday present! I've been hoping one of the does would have a kid on my birthday for a few years now, but it hasn't happened yet. On each side of my b-day, but not the actual day.

The garden is all but done. We have a spectacular carrot crop this year. They are the sweetest tasting carrots we've ever grown. The potatoes did well, too. For the first year that I can remember, we didn't get a good green bean crop. There are no beans frozen this year. We did get lots of zucchini this year. I fact, we had the last fresh ones tonight. The apples did pretty good. The peas were not good. Not enough to do anything with. I hope next year will be a better year.

Well, that's all for now. I'll be busy dehairing cashmere from now on!

No comments:

Post a Comment