Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Singing in the Rain


Here are the Cashmere goats eating in what used to be my round pen for working horses in. I took down the fence and it's now just one of a very few flat spots we have on the place.
As you can see, there isn't much grass in there yet. The deer keep eating it down. Now that we've had all the rain and things are finally growing, maybe the deer will move out into the woods where there is lots of taller grass.
We have been getting a lot of rain lately! Today we got a whole inch, and it's still coming down lightly. I let the goats out for a while, but they didn't go far. They kept watching for me to come out and feed them their grain.
I'm out of hay now, so I'm going to have to go get a load on Friday. I made it longer than ever before this year. Usually I run out in March or April. It's almost time to start cutting this years' hay, so I should only have to buy about 2 tons to get me through until this years' crop is ready.
I got the asparagus/strawberry bed all weeded yesterday. That took a few hours. It looks so much better now. We are going to have a lot of strawberries! We're getting quite a bit of asparagus, too. Yum!
I dehaired another ounce of the taupe cashmere cloud today. When I get it back from the mill, it still has a few guard hairs in it, so I go through with a pair of tweezers and pick all the hairs out. It takes about an hour per ounce to do that. Then when I sell it, or spin it myself, there aren't any guard hairs to keep stopping and picking out as I go. I still miss an occasional hair, but that's it. Much better product that way.
I'll be taking in this year's harvest pretty soon to be dehaired. Then I'll have lots of cashmere cloud to work with and sell. I love spinning cashmere and crocheting with it. It is so soft! :-)
Well, that's it for now. More as it happens......

No comments:

Post a Comment