Saturday, May 18, 2024

Finally Done Spinning Wool

 Yesterday I finally finished spinning the big wool commission I've been working on for over a year.  Now I can get back to my cashmere and spinning it, weaving, etc.  No more custom spinning projects unless it's a pound or under.  It's kinda strange not having wool spinning to do on a daily basis.  Somewhat anti-climactic I guess.  I got out the vacuum cleaner and thoroughly cleaned up the area around my wheel where all the vegetative matter had fallen out of the roving as I spun it.  It was quite a mess! I've been having to vacuum after every few skeins, there was so much seed heads and other bits of vegetation in it.  Not a fun wool to spin.  The wool itself was nice and soft, but the vm in it made it very prickly.

  Now I am going to put a somewhat long warp on my floor loom for a run of kitchen towels. I will also start working on my cashmere from 3 years ago.  I have 3 harvests of cashmere to do!  Lots of weeding in the gardens and planting, cleaning of the goat pens and dairy barn.  All the things that go on around a farm on a daily basis.  I've been putting off a lot of things to get this spinning done, so now I can work guilt-free outside. I always felt guilty when I was doing something other than spinning the wool.  Even when I had certain hours for spinning, certain hours for other work, I still felt a bit guilty when I wasn't spinning the wool. Now it's onwards and upwards! :-) 

The two cashmere kids are doing well.  Toffee the dairy doe had twins that are the cutest things. Their ears are so cute.  One of these days I'll get a picture or two of them on here.  They are always on the move when I'm out there, so it's hard to get a good picture of the two of them together.  Out of 10 kids born this year, only 5 survived.  That's the worst record I've ever had.  Most years I haven't lost any, once in a while I'll lose one or two, but half the crop is unheard of.  I blame the genetics of the buck not meshing with the does' genetics.  So he is going bye-bye. I think I won't breed anybody this fall and just skip a year or maybe even two.  We'll see what happens.

We are just starting to harvest a lot of asparagus.  Finally going to have enough to freeze in quantity!  That has been my dream for years and years to have enough to freeze for year-round eating.  It's finally happening! 

The weather sure has been wild this year! So many severe storms from the Rockies eastward.  The question is: how much of that is natural, and how much is engineered.  I would guess a majority is engineered, not natural. We are having a little hailstorm right now.  Luckily it's not more than pea-sized and my peonies aren't in bloom yet. This is nothing compared to what parts of the rest of the country are going through, so I'm not complaining, just observing.  We are living in some very interesting times!  The most amazing time in history. Glad I'm here to witness it all.  

Well, I think that's it for this update.  I'm really going to try and be more consistent and post more pictures of things from now on.  Time is going by so fast, it's hard to remember to post on a regular basis. Hope everyone is having a good day!  

No comments:

Post a Comment