Sunday, May 26, 2013

Goat antics


Goats can be the silliest creatures sometimes.  Walter got all tangled in a feed bag, how I'm not sure, but he had a nice head dress on.  Scared the livin' daylights out of the rest of the wethers who were all running away from Walter, who was trying to keep up with them.  It was the funniest thing to watch, I about fell over I was laughing so hard.  Luckily I was over in the main pen taking pictures of the kids when all of this happened, so I had my camera with me.  Although I didn't get a good picture of them all running away in a tight bunch, snorting and blowing.  Silly goats. :-)  They are more entertaining than TV by a long ways. 






Then there is BB on the door of the dairy barn.  She gets on the bench, jumps up on the upper door and walks across to the lower door.  That door is only as wide as a 2x4 on it's edge.  Good balance!  Speckles is laying there with her triplets climbing all over her.



  I'm still working on the cashmere, in fact I'm washing two fleeces as I write this, and then will spend the afternoon dehairing some.  I'm so far behind I think I'm ahead of things right now.   My big plan of having the cashmere all done and ready to go by June isn't going to happen.  One order will be ready, but the rest won't be ready till July.   I underestimated how much other work there was to do around here back in January when I said I'd have it done by June.  Funny how I forgot all about all the clean-up and gardening there is to do in the Spring! After all, there are only so many daylight hours in a 24 hour period.
  Luckily I have had some helpers once in a while.  Without them, I wouldn't be able get much of anything done.  The HelpX  website is a good thing!

  The three bottle babies are doing well.  Bart is almost old enough to be weaned now.  The twins are three weeks behind him.   They live in the dog pen at night and are running all over the place during the day.  I do have them closed out of the inner yard so they don't eat all the flowers and gardens.   Today I'm going to let the main pen of goats out into the outer yard and driveway to eat that down and get used to fresh greens again, after only having the hay all winter and up till now.  I have been throwing them the grass and weeds I'm pulling out of the gardens, but they haven't been out of their pens yet this year.

  We had 2 1/2 inches of snow on Thursday morning!  I'm really glad it melted by that afternoon and that it didn't kill all my flowers that were blooming and the apple blossoms that are starting to open.   The tulips and daffodils got flattened, but they are perking back up again now.  It didn't break any branches on the trees, either.  Now I hope we are going to have warmer weather for the rest of Spring and into Summer, with a little rain each week to keep things green and the fire danger low.  In an ideal world.....

  Well, that's it for now.  Have a good Memorial week-end!    

1 comment:

  1. I love the third picture. Walter's like,
    "What? WHAT????"
    Annie, someday I'm going to ask you a few questions about cashmere processing, but I am going to wait til all your fleeces are processed for the year! :)

    ReplyDelete